ISDR – Programmes: (2005-2015)
ISDR CENTER FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT*.
The integrated research and development studies related to natural resources,
agriculture, environment, climate change, public health, socio-economic uplift
and community development , non-conventional energy along with education and
training will be conducted at these centers* in Jalgaon district and other
regions of the Maharashtra state in collaboration with UN and international
organisations and research institutions.
- Environment conservation and watersheds management, river and basin management
plan for India & other regions.
- Global climate change and its impacts on environment, agriculture, horticulture
and coastal management.
- Feasibility study of development of micro hydropower project on rivers
- Impact of agro-forestry & genetically modified crops on farming community.
- Information technology for sustainable development .
- Implementation of HABITAT AGENDA and Millennium Development
- Water resources planning, development and management.
- Urban and regional planning, development and management studies.
- Sustainable agriculture development and introduction of new technol-ogies.
- Drinking water problem in the towns and cities - issues on socio-economic-technical
- Awareness camps for rural and urban people of Maharashtra State in respect
of consumption of alcohol, Ghutkha, and tobaccos, by launching de-addiction
campaign with the help of other NGOs and social bodies.
- Training in the following areas…
Training in respect to use of Solar Cooker and Solar Heater as
alternative sources of energy.
Use of non-conventional energy resources.
Health care camps in rural areas – AIDS awareness camps.
E-Governance and IT applications for sustainable development.
Training to Engineering Students of the polytechnics to promote small
awareness camps in and around their towns regarding optimum use of potable
water and various low cost techniques for treatment of water.
- Economical use of water and fertilizers.
- Increasing the productivity of land.
- Micro Irrigation systems.
- Promoting use of bio pesticides and organic farming.
- Ecological sanitation.
- Bio fertilisers.
- Implementation of UN millennium declaration and formulation of plans and
programmes for millennium development goals through North-South co-operation
- To form the network of local CBOs / VOs and NGOs to implement the developmental
- To formulate region wide knowledge centers for sustainable development.
- Participation in agriculture and water related projects.
- Studies on climate change.
- To collaborate with national and international organizations working in
the field of sustainable development.
- Information resource centers on sustainable development.
- Research and development on medicinal, herbal and aromatic plants and
their medicinal use.
- Health services for rural communities.
- Research on cultural heritage and history.
- Research on geo-sciences, geo-tourism, geo-archaeology, ecotourism.
- Education, research and training for self-employment
- UNESCO-INTERNATIONAL DECADE FOR EDUCATION FOR SU-STAINABLE DEVELOPMENT;
and INTERNATIONAL DECADE ON ‘WATER FOR LIFE’ - 2005-2015:in
September 2002, the World Summit on Sustainable Development recommended
to the United Nations General Assembly that “it consider adopting
a Decade of Education for Sustainable Development starting in 2005”.In
December 2002, resolution 57/254 introduced by Japan on the United Nations
Decade of Education for Sustainable Development beginning 1 January 2005
was adopted by consensus. In developing the draft International Implementation
Scheme for the decade, UNESCO is engaging in wide consultations with as
many partners and stakeholders as possible in developed and developing countries.
ISDR will participate in these milestone events of UNESCO along with its
continental partner organisations working in the field of sustainable development.